susanloo
over 11 years ago
9 responses

Advice needed to best use of Rail Pass to the following places:

1. Kansai airport to Osaka, Nara and Kobe
  2. Osaka to Nagoya
  3. Nagoya to Shirakawa go
  4. Kansai airport

Need to know whether JR Pass can cover these locations during our 7 days stay in Osaka.

Also how to buy the Rail Pass as I am living in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.

Thank you
Susan Loo

mari
1950 posts
over 11 years ago
Expert

Hi Susan,

The rail pass will cover all of your itinerary except the trip to Shirakawago, where the JRPass will cover the majority of travel up to Takayama. From Takayama you should get the [Nohi bus to Shirakawago] for the final 50 mins stretch to Shirakawago.

Here is the cost breakdown for your trip based on this:

1. Kansai airport > Osaka: ¥2600, (53mins, 57km)
  2. Osaka > Nara: ¥780, (59mins, 48km)
  3. Nara > Osaka: ¥780, (55mins, 48km)
  4. Osaka > Kobe(hyogo): ¥390, (24mins, 33km)
  5. Kobe(hyogo) > Osaka: ¥390, (25mins, 33km)
  6. Osaka > Nagoya: ¥6380, (67mins, 190km)
  7. Nagoya > Takayama: ¥6070, (150mins, 166km)
  8. Takayama > Kansai airport: ¥11560, (292mins, 414km)

JR ticket cost: ¥28950 for 8 legs

• 07 day rail pass (¥28,300) saving: ¥650

As you can see you'll make a small saving with the 7 day rail pass, but will gain flexibility to change your plans while you are in Japan, and will find the pass much more convenient than purchasing tickets. In addition, all further JR travel (such as a return trip to Himeji or Hiroshima) will be free.

You can purchase your JR Pass online here. Please note that delivery to malaysia takes 2 business days.

Hope this helps!

susanloo
susanloo
9 posts
over 11 years ago

Mari,

You are most kind with your quick reply to my query. After having gone into the different websites for info,

I have planned our travel schedule as follows:

• 8/9/12 Osaka Sightseeing (ATC Asia and Pacific Trade Center" and the "Wine Museum", Kofuku-ji Temple, Nara Park)
  • 9/9/12 Osaka/Nagoya
  • 10/9/12 Nagoya/sakae
  • 11/9/12 Hida Takayama
  • 12-14/9/12 Shirakawa-go
  • 14/9/2 Osaka
  • 15/9/12 Osaka/Kansai (return flight to Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia)

Thank you so much again as my husband and I are looking forward to our historical trip to Japan.

Susan

Your further advice please if this itinerary will offer me an enjoyable insight of the locations mentioned. Some commentaries I read suggested leaving Nagoya as the last location before returning to Osaka. Is there any
big difference in my case visiting Nagoya first??? I am trying to avoid criss-crossing as well as not spending unfruitful money on transportation.

mari
1950 posts
over 11 years ago
Expert

Hi Susan,

Looks like a great trip. Here are some thoughts:

Shirakawago

Unless you have specific plans for Shirakawago, I think a single night stay is more than ample (many people even visit as a day trip). How about spending more time in Takayama, visiting Kanazawa, Kyoto or Koyasan?

Nagoya

Unless you have plans for Nagoya, I think a day is ample. Nagoya is a commercial/industrial city, and so while it has excellent shopping facilities it does not offer much in the way of cultural experience or tourism. I'd aim to spend less time in Nagoya and more time elsewhere. If you do decide to visit Nagoya it won't really matter a lot where you include Nagoya in your itinerary as you need to pass through in order to catch the train up to Takayama in the Alps.

Hope this helps!

susanloo
susanloo
9 posts
over 11 years ago

Mari,

Our sincere appreciation for your time and efforts to ensure we have a great start of our holiday. We are open
to your suggestions.

We have not been to the locations mentioned except the UNESCO heritage sites of Shirakawago whereby we want to experience its historical.

We are now stuck with accommodation logistic - does it mean we travel back to Osaka every day after visiting Takayama, Kanazawa, Kyoto and Koyasan?

We have booked hotels for Osaka but not for the rest of the locations. We would like to try out the Ryokan in Takayama and also in Shirakawago. Do you have any suggestion/recommendation for me?

Honestly, hope this is my last request as I don't feel good imposing on your goodwill and we haven't even met.

Thanks again
Susan

mari
1950 posts
over 11 years ago
Expert

Hi Susan,

Not a problem!

I think I'd aim to stay overnight in Takayama and Koyasan, visiting Shirakawago as a day trip from Takayama. Nagoya is very much day trip territory from Osaka (45-60mins by bullet), as is Kyoto if you already have hotels booked. You can visit Koyasan in a day, however will get most out of it with an overnight stay. If time permits, then a stop in Kanazawa would also be worthwhile after you have visited Takayama/Shirakawago.

I'm afraid I'm not sure about Ryokan recommendations in Takayama and Shirakawago as things are changing all the time, however I recommend you check these reviews on trip advisor for both Takayama and Shirakawago.

Hope this helps!

susanloo
susanloo
9 posts
over 11 years ago

thanks again Mari...I am almost done with my firm itinerary with your great support of the locations to visit and how to get there.

Really appreciate your thoughtfulness in guiding our Osaka and Takayama visits.

All the best
Susan

susanloo
susanloo
9 posts
over 11 years ago

Mari,

Tried to book my 2 JR Rail Passes and found that the currency charged in HK$5,676 and when finally come to payment by credit card, the currency is in Sterling Pounds 462.00. Why is that so? With online (internet) scams, I am hesitant
to continue with my JR Rail booking.

I request for the Pass to be sent to Malaysia where we are departing to Osaka. Is there alternative that I can pay
in Ringgit since it is delivered to my Kuala Lumpur address.

Thanks again
Susan

mari
1950 posts
over 11 years ago
Expert

Hi Susan,

Our HKD prices are a guide based on the current exchange rates from the European Central Bank. We do accept final payments in USD, GBP and EUR.

We are working to accept more native currencies in the future, however for now can only offer guide conversions for HKD at present.

We will deliver to the delivery address specified when you place your order. If you would like to change this once you have ordered, please contact our support team at: [email protected] who will be able to advise you further.

If you do have further concerns about ordering with us I'd be happy to help answer them. You may also like to read other customer testimonials here.

So sorry we don't offer payment in HKD or Ringgit - perhaps selecting USD will give you the most predictable exchange rate?

Hope this helps and thank you for the kind comments!

susanloo
susanloo
9 posts
over 11 years ago

Hi Mari

I got my JR Rail pass reserved and paid for in US$. We are very excited for this journey as we are actually
planning our holiday with the support from JR to guide us how to spend our holiday efficiently. And of course our
transportation arrangement to see more of the places you recommended.

We have revised our travel itinerary by adopting your wisdom.

Thanks again for your most helpful and informative guidance.

All the best
Susan

mari
1950 posts
over 11 years ago
Expert

Hi Susan, that's great - thank you so much!

If you need any further assistance please don't hesitate to ask.

All the best,

M

susanloo
susanloo
9 posts
over 11 years ago

Mari,

First of all thanks for arranging the JR Rail pass which I received today. One more day for final preparation of our journey, I am rather confused with the different Railway services.

Our final Itinerary

7 & 8 Osaka
Okay with the program

9/10/11/12/13 Osaka/Takayama/Kanazawa/Shirakawago/Osaka

9 & 10 Osaka- Takayama

11 & 12 Takayama - Kanazawa

13 Shirakawago

What is the most convenient routing for visiting these places with the JR Pass that provides train and bus services without having to pay the extra fares?

We are spending 2 nites in Takayama; 1 nite in Kanazawa and 1 nite in Shirakawago (if time permits)

14 Sept Dept for Malaysia

Thanks again Mari...just getting nervous of being lost in the places where English is not spoken much..my Japanese zero.

Susan

mari
1950 posts
over 11 years ago
Expert

Hi Susan,

You'll be able to use the following itineraries for you travel to these areas:

1. Kansai airport > Osaka: ¥2600, (53mins, 57km)
  2. Osaka > Takayama: ¥10610, (223mins, 357km)
  3. Takayama > Kanazawa: ¥4380, (186mins, 148km)
  4. Kanazawa > Osaka: ¥7240, (154mins, 267km)
  5. Osaka > Kansai airport: ¥3340, (57mins, 64km)

For Shirakawago, you'll need to use the non-JR Nohi bus service from either Takayama or Kanazawa. Here's a link to their timetable for more information. As this is non-JR there will be an unavoidable charge for Shirakawago I'm afraid.

I think you'll have a great time, but do remember that the JR Pass is valid on JR lines only and you should have no problems :)

Hope this helps!

susanloo
susanloo
9 posts
over 11 years ago

Okay Mari,

Thanks for your support again...looking forward to leaving for Osaka tomorrow midnight flight (AirAsia) to Kansai Airport!

Cheers and regards
Susan

mari
1950 posts
over 11 years ago
Expert

Excellent! Have a great trip!

Looking for more information? Search the forum

Select Category

Instant Quote

Starting from $343.00 for 7 days of unlimited Japan Rail travel

Can’t find the answer?

Learn from over 17323 questions about the Japan Rail Pass, or ask our Japan Rail travel experts

Ask Question

Get pocket Wifi in Japan

Get pocket Wifi in Japan

Visit us on Facebook

Get inspired for your visit to Japan by following us on Instagram and don't forget your own shots once you are there.

Find out where to buy the japan rail pass online.

Order your JRPass Now!

We have special prices for children and great first class options. See all tickets or see our range of Regional Passes