Order Your JRPass
Back to General Japan Travel

First Time in Japan!!

NPKeeks
NPKeeks
about 6 years ago
3 responses

Hello,

We are travelling from Vancouver, Canada and looking to spend 14-15 days in Japan this spring.
We (husband and I) will be flying into Narita then spending 4-5 days in Tokyo (side trip to Mt Fuji I hope) then Kyoto for 4 days (side trip to Osaka I hope) then Maybe Himeji on the way to Hiroshima and Miyajima for 4 days before returning to Tokyo.
Would a 14 day pass be good? Can the passes be used for travel to and from the airport? Can the passes be used for city transit (subway, bus, etc).

Thank so much.
Kyra

Daniel-san
18835 posts
about 6 years ago
Expert

Hi Kyra,

A 14 day JR Pass is a good option with travel to Kyoto, Hiroshima and elsewhere. Transport from the airport is included, as well as the urban JR Network around Tokyo, Osaka and Kyoto. Other transport like the subway is run by other companies and not included.

You can use the bullet train to access most cities, like Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka, Himeji and Hiroshima. The JR Pass also covers the route sight seeing buses in Hiroshima and ferry to Miyajima.

Hope this helps,
Daniel

NPKeeks
NPKeeks
3 posts
about 6 years ago

Daniel,

Thank you!
Turns out we will be staying 16 days and 15 nights as follows:
-April 25-30 Tokyo -April 30-may 1 Takayama -May 1-5 Kyoto+Nara -May 5-7 Osaka -May 7-10 Himeji, Hiroshima, & Miyajima -May 10 Home to Vancouver I am wondering if we buy a 14 day pass what do you reccomend for the first two days (needs to include airport transfer).
Lastly, travelling from Hiroshima to Narita using our pass on May 10 (our flight leaves at 1600 so aiming for noon arrival) what train route do we use (I keep getting nozomi schedules which don't work with our pass )

Thank you so much for all the help!!
Kyra

Daniel-san
18835 posts
about 6 years ago
Expert

Hi there,

In that case make sure you cover the longer and most expensive routes with your JR Pass.

Going from Hiroshima to Narita Airport is indeed a long route, so leave very early. First take the Shinkansen from Hiroshima to Shin-Osaka. There transfer to the Hikari to Tokyo and lastly, from Tokyo to Narita Airport use the Narita Express.

An example route can be found here.

Hope this helps,
Daniel

NPKeeks
NPKeeks
3 posts
about 6 years ago

Thank you Daniel.

Given my itinerary is it still worth buying a pass? We planned to use it for all travel from Tokyo to Hiroshima then for our return to Narita.
What do you recommend for the first two days (narita to shinjuku and in tokyo)?

Thank you again, this forum is an excellent help!!
Kyra

Daniel-san
18835 posts
about 6 years ago
Expert

Hi Kyra,

You could just buy normal tickets for the first 2 days, as travel around Tokyo is not very expensive. Using a Suica card can make life very convenient. It is a card you charge money on. Then every time money is deducted when you travel and you no longer have to buy normal tickets or worry about the correct amount etc.

Hope this helps,
Daniel

Looking for more information? Search the forum

Select Category

Instant Quote

Starting from $343.00 for 7 days of unlimited Japan Rail travel

Can’t find the answer?

Learn from over 17329 questions about the Japan Rail Pass, or ask our Japan Rail travel experts

Ask Question

Get pocket Wifi in Japan

Get pocket Wifi in Japan

Visit us on Facebook

Get inspired for your visit to Japan by following us on Instagram and don't forget your own shots once you are there.

Find out where to buy the japan rail pass online.

Order your JRPass Now!

We have special prices for children and great first class options. See all tickets or see our range of Regional Passes