Order Your JRPass
Back to Using the Japan Rail Pass

Tokyo & Hokkaido in Jun 2015

christineloi
christineloi
almost 9 years ago
2 responses

Hi, I would like to find out if I should get the JR National Pass for 14 days for 1 adult and 2 children.

My travel plans are as follows :-

Day 1 : Fly from Tokyo Narita to Sapporo. Travel via rail from CTS to JR Sapporo Station
Day 2 & 3 : Travel in Sapporo (using JR Pass ? )
Attractions @ Sapporo
i) Sapporo JR Tower Observatory T38
ii) Hokkaido Jingu
iii) Takino Suzuran Hillside National Park

Day 4 : Free Shuttle from Saporro to Furano provided by hotel
Travel in Lake Toya and Noboribetsu for sight seeing

Day 5 : 2 options
Otion A ) Travel by JP Rail from Lake Toya to Furano. Please advice if it is possible
Option B) Take free shuttle from Lake Toya to Sapporo and take rail fro Sapporo to Furano

Day 6 - 8 : Explore Furano and Biel

Day 9 :
Option A) Fly from asahikawa airport to Haneda aiport
Option B) take sleeper train from Furano to Tokyo ( i understand I can only book for Cassiopeia train when i'm arrive in Japan).

From Haneda, how do i travel to Tokyo Disneyland ?

Day 10 : travel from Tokyo disneyland to Hotel Sunroute Plaza Shinjuku
Explore Tokyo

Day 11 : Hotel to Narita Airport

I would appreciate your advice on
i) is it cost savings to buy JR PAss
ii) Travel from Lake Toya to Furano
iii) Travel from Furano to Tokyo via Cassiopeia train

Appreciate your prompt advice. thanks

Daniel-san
18830 posts
almost 9 years ago
Expert

Hello there,

1.) For this itinerary I would advise buying normal train tickets or perhaps look at a Hokkaido JR Pass. The amount of travel in your itinerary is mostly in Hokkaido and ticket prices are below the price of the JR Pass. Though a JR Pass would have been useful if you used the Shinkansen to travel up to Hokkaido.

2.) It takes about 4 hours by rail. I don't know how this compares to taking the shuttle bus but that option probably is cheaper but may take more time.

3.) I think going for a flight is the saver option. The Cassiopeia is a very popular train with limited service dates and sometimes is booked out weeks in advance. Still you could try to get tickets once you are in Japan and otherwise book a flight. It is a wonderful experience.

Hope you find this useful,
Daniel

Looking for more information? Search the forum

Select Category

Instant Quote

Starting from $343.00 for 7 days of unlimited Japan Rail travel

Can’t find the answer?

Learn from over 17323 questions about the Japan Rail Pass, or ask our Japan Rail travel experts

Ask Question

Get pocket Wifi in Japan

Get pocket Wifi in Japan

Visit us on Facebook

Get inspired for your visit to Japan by following us on Instagram and don't forget your own shots once you are there.

Find out where to buy the japan rail pass online.

Order your JRPass Now!

We have special prices for children and great first class options. See all tickets or see our range of Regional Passes