Order Your JRPass
Thawsing
Thawsing
over 10 years ago
11 responses

Hi,
I have purchased a 7-days JR Pass. Arriving Heneda at about 23:00 on 16th December. Questions:
1. I Plan to spend 3 nights in Tokyo. Is my JR pass acceptable to travel on Tokyo Metro and Buses?

1. on the 19th I am going to spend s night in Hakone sightseeing before moving to Kyoto on the 20th December. Can you suggest how I should travel to Hakone?

2. I plan to take the earliest train from Shinjuku where I will be staying for 3 nights to maximise my one day sightseeing in Hakone. How to sightsee Hakone without my luggage as the Hotel Senki which I would stay for the night specified earliest check-in is 3 pm.

3. What is the most convenient way to sightsee Hakone within the one day I have?

4. Is there any interesting nightlife in Hakone?

5. How do I get to Kyoto from Hakone?

Thank You

Thaw Sing

Daniel-san
18835 posts
over 10 years ago
Expert

Hi Thaw Sing,

The JR Pass is valid on all JR lines in Tokyo and Tokyo Monorail which cover most of the metropolis, other transport types such as the metro are do not accept the JR Pass.

Going to your questions:
1.) I'd recommend taking the Shinkansen from Tokyo or Shinagawa station to Odawara. This way you get to ride the bullet train which only 35minutes. Odawara is the gateway station for Hakone, from here you can use local transport to explore the area. The bullet train ride to Odawara is covered by the JR Pass but you may have to pay for local transport in Hakone.

2.) I would recommend to make use of a coin locker which are available in large quantities at any station. Some are big enough to store a suitcase. There's also a baggage service at Tokyo Station which can hold on to your suitcases while you explore Japan.

3.) Consider a Hakone Free Pass for your travel there, it covers all kinds of transport and is a great addition to your JR Pass.

4.) This you will have to find out for yourself :)
(I honestly don't know).

5.) To get to Kyoto, return to Odawara station from which you can take a bullet train directly to Kyoto.

I hope this helps!
Daniel

Looking for more information? Search the forum

Select Category

Instant Quote

Starting from $343.00 for 7 days of unlimited Japan Rail travel

Can’t find the answer?

Learn from over 17329 questions about the Japan Rail Pass, or ask our Japan Rail travel experts

Ask Question

Get pocket Wifi in Japan

Get pocket Wifi in Japan

Visit us on Facebook

Get inspired for your visit to Japan by following us on Instagram and don't forget your own shots once you are there.

Find out where to buy the japan rail pass online.

Order your JRPass Now!

We have special prices for children and great first class options. See all tickets or see our range of Regional Passes