Japan Rail service, 24nd March
Japan Rail is now running a generally normal service now in most areas with many sleeper trains also operating. While the JR-East network still has some suspended services, many lines have started running following line tests. JR-East will continue the current schedule for a while depending on its reconstruction work.
- Tokyo Metro service running reduced (but very improved) service.
- JR-East Narita Express suspended, JR Sobu line operating at 100% capacity to Narita.
- JR East reduction in bullet and non bullet train services.
- Joetsu bullet train running normally.
- Tohoku line Tokyo to Nasushiobara bullet running 2 trains per hour.
- Tohoku line Morioka to Shin Aomori bullet running reduced services.
- JR-Central (Osaka & Kyoto > Tokyo) Tokaido bullet running normally.
- JR Central normal train lines going to Tokyo running reduced service (but very improved).
- All other networks running normally (JR-West, JR-Kyushu, JR-Shikoku & JR-Hokkaido)
Working Shinkansen bullet operations
For reference, please use this map of bullet train routes
Please note these are guides last updated on the 24th of March. For confirmation of particular trains, please visit your nearest JR station.
Tokaido shinkansen (Tokyo - Osaka) Normal operation.
Sanyo shinkansen (Hakata - Osaka) Normal operation.
Nagano shinkansen (Nagano - Tokyo) Normal operation.
Kyushu shinkansen (Hakata - Kagoshima) Normal operation.
Joetsu shinkansen (Niigata - Tokyo) Normal operation.
Tohoku shinkansen (Tokyo - Nasushiobara): Reduced service.
Tohoku shinkansen (Morioka - Shin Aomori): Reduced service with 10 return trips.
Akita shinkansen (Akita - Morioka) Reduced service with 5 return trips.
Tohoku shinkansen time table
Morioka to Shin Aomori
Shin Aomori to Morioka
Akita shinkansen time table
Akita to Morioka
Morioka to Akita
Please note that there is a possibility that these time tables may change.
Tohoku shinkansen (Nasushiobara - Morioka) Suspended
Yamagata shinkansen (Fukushima - Shinjo) Suspended
Tokyo metro (subway)
Tokyo metro Reduced service at about 80% of capacity except in rush hours where now running at 100%. Rush Hours: 07:30-09:30 and 17:00-20:00.
Narita Express (NEX)
- Suspended service, but access to Narita via JR Sobu line.
Alternative services information on our forum:getting from and to narita and jr sobu line rapid train "airport narita"
More information about access to Narita Airport, please visit Narita Airport Official Website.
- Sunrise-Seto & Izumo - Normal operation
- Nihonkai(Osaka-Aomori) - Normal operation
- Hamanasu(Aomori-Sapporo) . Normal operation
- Akebono - suspended till March 25th
- Cassiopeia - suspended till March 31st
- Hokutosei - suspended till March 31st
- Twilight Express - suspended till March 31st
Links to JR status pages in English
More train information in Tokyo
Please note that Jorudan infomation were last updated on the 23th but their information may update soon.
Are you struggling to use underground and trains in Tokyo?