Order Your JRPass
Back to Itinerary check

Winter in Japan 2015

happyfaith22
happyfaith22
over 9 years ago
3 responses

Hello Everyone,

I was hoping you can help me decide whether to get a JR Pass or not.

We enter and leave Japan via Osaka. Our trip is from January 17 (arrival of 10 pm) to January 23 (Departure of 8:40 pm).

We were thinking of going on a Domestic Flight to and from tokyo via Peach Airlines for Y9610.

My question is are the train tickets in Osaka and Tokyo expensive if we will not be buying the JR Pass? We plan to go around Osaka from the 17-20. We will stay in Hotel Universal Port the whole time because we want to spend 2 days in Universal Studios.

We plan to go to Tokyo on Jan 20 and leave early to fly back to Osaka on the 23rd. We will stay in the Shinjuku area and plan to go to Tokyo Disneyland, Sanrio Land, Diver City. Will the train tickets going around tokyo be expensive as well? Where can we get a good glimpse of Mt. Fuji at this time of the year?

Thanks!

Daniel-san
18835 posts
over 9 years ago
Expert

Hello there,

In general, the JR Pass is best used when traveling between different regions in Japan. For instance a return ticket Tokyo - Kyoto on the Shinkansen will quickly pay off when using the JR Pass. On the other hand local travel is priced much lower and a JR Pass won't be put to best use. By flying you take the best use of the JR Pass away, so I'd recommend buying normal tickets for your travel.

As for Fuji, a great place to view Fuji is Kawaguchiko, which makes for a nice day trip from Tokyo. A bit of luck with the weather is needed though :)

Hope this helps,
Daniel

Looking for more information? Search the forum

Select Category

Instant Quote

Starting from $336.00 for 7 days of unlimited Japan Rail travel

Can’t find the answer?

Learn from over 17433 questions about the Japan Rail Pass, or ask our Japan Rail travel experts

Ask Question

Get pocket Wifi in Japan

Get pocket Wifi in Japan

Visit us on Facebook

Get inspired for your visit to Japan by following us on Instagram and don't forget your own shots once you are there.

Find out where to buy the japan rail pass online.

Order your JRPass Now!

We have special prices for children and great first class options. See all tickets or see our range of Regional Passes