Visiting Japan - 12-days
Arrive at Haneda 18/02/13 10.10pm
Depart at Haneda 01/03/13 10.45pm
So from 18/02 to 01/03, I have 11 full days to travel to following destination.
My plan as follow:
Upon arrive at Haneda on 18/3, move to Kyoto – to take night train/bus from Tokyo to Kyoto
19/2 - arrive Kyoto and visit Kyoto, stay in Kyoto
20/2 - visit Kyoto, stay in Kyoto
21/2 - go to Nara (day trip), stay in Kyoto or move to Osaka and stay at Osaka
22/2 - move to Osaka and visit Osaka, stay in Osaka
23/2 - continue visit Osaka, stay at Osaka than take an early morning bus/train to Tokyo or take a night bus/train to Tokyo
24/2 - visit Harajuku and Shinjuku, stay at Tokyo
25/2 - visit central Tokyo, stay at Tokyo = To join Tokyo Hash in the evening
26/2 - go to visit Yokohama (day trip), stay in Tokyo
27/2 - visit Shibuya, stay in Tokyo
28/2 - visit Shibuya than move to Odaiba, stay in Tokyo
01/3 - visit Asakusa, than about evening have dinner than move to HND airport
1) I am not sure whether the above will be very tedious or not. Pls comment.
2) On accommodation, shouldn’t have much problem, however if you have suggestion pls comment.
3) My biggest issue is transportation, should I get a 7-days or 14-days JR pass for the above trip. And can JR pass covers include Kyoto, Nara, Osaka and Yokohama visit. How about travel inside Tokyo? Pls comment as I am trying to get the best savings in transportation.
4) Can the JR pass use from Haneda airport to Tokyo and Tokyo back to Haneda airport base on the above time?
Looks like a good trip you have coming together! Here are some thoughts on your itinerary:
- Assuming 1hr for customs and so on, you'll be leaving Haneda at 11pm. Haneda to Kyoto will not be possible at that time I think. I recommend you aim to stay overnight in Tokyo as you are arriving so late.
- I think in general you should aim to use the bullet trains rather than night trains. Tokyo to Kyoto is only a 2.5hr trip, so should be manageable given you will not return on the same day.
- Accommodation wise, it's always hard to recommend, however be sure to check the discount chains of Toyoko-Inn and Dormy-Inn.
- As a 7 day pass becomes cost effective if you do a return trip from Tokyo to Osaka, I recommend you use a 7 day pass for the period between 19th-25th. Note that you can use the JR Pass between all the cities you list, however will probably need to purchase internal metro tickets outside Tokyo. Within Tokyo you can use the extensive JR lines in the city to get around with ease but may need to purchase metro tickets occasionally. For your period outside JR Pass validity in Tokyo I recommend looking into the 1 day freedom passes available at a discount to foreign travellers.
- You can use the JR Pass to and from Haneda, however as this travel will be outside the recommended 7 day validity period for your trip, you should aim to purchase individual monorail tickets (~¥300-¥400).
Hope this helps!