questions & answers: itinerary check

traveling to japan in march 2014

Traveling to Japan in March 2014

We will be staying 14 days. I have my flight and hotels booked, but wanted to check the train transportation. We will arrive in Narita and use it for a base to travel to Tokyo, Kamakura and Nikko. Then travel to Kyoto, use it as a base and travel to Takayama, Nara, Hiroshima and Miyajima. Then from Kyoto back to Narita to fly out. So I have a few questions. It does not appear that we can get to Miyajima by train, so what is our best option and the Himeji Castle is under construction, is this a place to see with our limited time? And can we reach all of these cities from Narita and Kyoto by train using the JR Pass? Thank you in advance.

kayaker_dave
kayaker_dave

Hi there,

All places you wish to visit are covered by the JR Pass, this even includes a visit to Miyajima.
To reach Miyajima, take a local train from Hiroshima station to Miyajimaguchi. You can board the ferry to Miyajima island itself, the great part is that the ferry is also covered by the JR Pass.

I think a quick stop over at Himeji it is something I would skip for now, the castle is reaching the final stages of the reconstruction but the castle is closed to public because of this. If you do want to make a stop somewhere consider a visit to Kobe instead, this is only one stop away from Himeji and has a lot of interesting spots.

I hope this helps!
Daniel

72a8815842aa5db137c135807bd6bb11?s=50&d=mm
Daniel-san
Expert_button_2

Sorry for the delayed response. Thank you very much for the help and advice.

kayaker_dave
kayaker_dave

Order your Japan Rail Pass Online

Starting from $254.00 for 7 days of unlimited Japan Rail travel

Please note: we are only able to handle order related enquiries via our online direct support. Commercial advertising is prohibited as per our website terms.