Order Your JRPass
Back to Itinerary check

Golden Week 2016

daniellemiller
daniellemiller
about 8 years ago
1 response

Hi,

I'm going to be arriving in Tokyo at Haneda airport on May 3rd, staying in Tokyo for a few days and then I would like to take the train using JRP to Kyoto for a night on May 5th, then go to Yahata station the following day for a few hours and then return back to Tokyo on May 6th.

1. Am I able to book/try to make train reservations from Haneda airport?
  2. Since I will be traveling during Golden Week, do you think that there is a chance I won't be able to book a train ticket once I arrive in Tokyo on May 3rd?? Will that be too late to make seat reservations? I anticipate leaving each morning around 10am or so.
  3. If I buy the Green JRP, can I book / make a reservation for my train tickets now in the United States?
  4. For the stations that I'm going to: Kyoto - Yahata, does the green JRP afford me that much more?
  5. I read online that "Travel activity is anticipated to peak on April 29 and May 3 with people leaving the large urban centers and on May 1, 5 and 8 in the opposite direction." So maybe my traveling from Tokyo - Kyoto - Yahata is going the opposite way as most Japanese on vacation??

Thanks in advance for your help!

Daniel-san
18828 posts
about 8 years ago
Expert

Hi there,

1.) Yes, seat reservations can be made right away at the airport.

2.) I don't expect any problems getting tickets if you book a couple of days in advance.

3.) It is not possible to make seat reservations outside of Japan, for any class.

4.) You get a nicer seat with more space. However I am not sure if it would be worth the money. Trains will be pretty busy both in Green and Ordinary class during Golden Week.

5.) This is correct. It may indeed less busy going to Yahata than the other way around.

Hope this helps,
Daniel

Looking for more information? Search the forum

Select Category

Instant Quote

Starting from $343.00 for 7 days of unlimited Japan Rail travel

Can’t find the answer?

Learn from over 17323 questions about the Japan Rail Pass, or ask our Japan Rail travel experts

Ask Question

Get pocket Wifi in Japan

Get pocket Wifi in Japan

Visit us on Facebook

Get inspired for your visit to Japan by following us on Instagram and don't forget your own shots once you are there.

Find out where to buy the japan rail pass online.

Order your JRPass Now!

We have special prices for children and great first class options. See all tickets or see our range of Regional Passes