Order Your JRPass
SabApril
SabApril
over 8 years ago
8 responses

Hi, I am pulling together a travel plan and would like to see if this makes sense and works with the 21 day rail pass.
I'll be travelling with a friend until 16 Feb and will need to come back to Tokyo for the 15th.
I was thinking a 21 day pass from 9 Feb might work for me? Would a 7 day pass work for my friend?

1 Feb - Arrive Tokyo - 2 people
2 Feb - Tokyo
3 Feb - To Shiga Kogen
4 Feb - Ski day
5 Feb - Ski day
6 Feb - Ski day
7 Feb - Ski day
8 Feb - Ski day
9 Feb - To Kyoto
10 Feb - Kyoto
11 Feb - Kyoto
12 Feb - Kyoto
13 Feb - To Mt Koya
14 Feb - To Tokyo
15 Feb - Tokyo - Fly home for 1 - Solo Travel from here
16 Feb - Fujikawaguchiko
17 Feb - to Nagoya for Nabana no Sato
18 Feb - To Osaka
19 Feb - Osaka
20 Feb - To Iya Valley
21 Feb - Iya Valley
22 Feb - To Himeji
23 Feb - To Kyoto
24 Feb - Kyoto
25 Feb - To Kanazawa
26 Feb - To Tokyo
27 Feb - Tokyo
28 Feb - Tokyo
29 Feb - Fly home

Thanks a lot for your help. SabApril

Daniel-san
18835 posts
over 8 years ago
Expert

Hi SabApril,

I was looking at ticket prices to see what would work best for your itinerary and while there's plenty of travel in your itinerary, it would be more economic for your friend to purchase normal tickets during travel. This because Nagano - Kyoto (¥ 11,440) and Kyoto - Tokyo (¥ 14,110) cost less than the price of a 7 day JR Pass (¥ 29,110). That is unless you would do more travel with it, which should not be that hard as a one way Tokyo - Narita Airport alone is around 3,000yen using the Narita Express. Though you will go on to travel quite a bit more and here a 21 day JR Pass will work very well and will cover nearly all travel. Though additional fares/transport will be needed for Koya, Kawaguchi-ko and to Iya Valley, this however is all local and will be limited to a couple thousand yen.

Hope this helps,
Daniel

SabApril
SabApril
8 posts
over 8 years ago

Hello Daniel,

Thanks for your help with the itinerary. I have made some small changes but I think it should still work.
A quick question about getting from Himeji to Kinosaki Onsen. The Kinosaki sites say there is a Ltd Express but I can't find the timetable throough Hyperdia. Is this still running?

1 Feb - Arrive Tokyo - 2 people
2 Feb - Tokyo
3 Feb - To Shiga Kogen
4 Feb - Ski day
5 Feb - Ski day
6 Feb - Ski day
7 Feb - Ski day
8 Feb - Ski day
9 Feb - To Kyoto
10 Feb - Kyoto
11 Feb - Kyoto
12 Feb - Kyoto
13 Feb - To Mt Koya
14 Feb - To Tokyo
15 Feb - Tokyo - Fly home for 1

Solo trip
15 Feb - Tokyo
16 Feb - Tokyo
17 Feb - to Nagoya
18 Feb - to Osaka
19 Feb - Osaka
20 Feb - to Iya Valley
21 Feb - Iya Valley
22 Feb - to Himeji
23 Feb - to Kinosaki Onsen
24 Feb - Kyoto
25 Feb - to Kyoto
26 Feb - to Kanazawa
27 Feb - Tokyo
28 Feb - Tokyo
29 Feb - Fly home

Daniel-san
18835 posts
over 8 years ago
Expert

Hi again!

Yes this would work too!

And yes, the ltd. express train from Himeji to Kinosaki-Onsen is still running. It is the Hamekaze see example route here.

SabApril
SabApril
8 posts
over 8 years ago

Thanks Daniel,

Can you help me find a timetable for the Ltd Express Shinano from Nagano to Nagoya?

Thanks Sabrina

Daniel-san
18835 posts
over 8 years ago
Expert

Hi Sabrina,

The best way is to use www.hyperdia.com to look up the time table. I was unable to find it anywhere else.

Let me know if you need any help wit Hyperdia, unfortunately I can't link it directly.

Looking for more information? Search the forum

Select Category

Instant Quote

Starting from $336.00 for 7 days of unlimited Japan Rail travel

Can’t find the answer?

Learn from over 17433 questions about the Japan Rail Pass, or ask our Japan Rail travel experts

Ask Question

Get pocket Wifi in Japan

Get pocket Wifi in Japan

Visit us on Facebook

Get inspired for your visit to Japan by following us on Instagram and don't forget your own shots once you are there.

Find out where to buy the japan rail pass online.

Order your JRPass Now!

We have special prices for children and great first class options. See all tickets or see our range of Regional Passes