questions & answers: itinerary check

february 2016 - itinerary help

February 2016 - Itinerary help

Hi, I am planning a month-long trip in February 2016 and I am hoping you can help me out with my itinerary. I have a plan but I am trying to check it is doable.

1-4 - Tokyo
4-9 - Shiga Kogen (skiing)
9-10 - Tokayama
10-11 - Kanazawa
11-16 - Kyoto - side trip to Uji
16-18 - Iya Valley
18-20 - Osaka
20-21 - Koya-san
21-22 - Ise
22-23 - Nagoya - Nakasendo walk Magome to Tsumago
23-29 - Tokyo - side trip to Kawaguchiko, Nikko

What do you think? Grateful for any suggestions on my itinerary.
Cheers, Sabrina

Hello Sabrina,

First impression looks great! I guess that you mean Takayama with Tokayama? The only part I am having some doubts about is walking the route between Magome and Tsumago during February as there may be a lot of snow. However the path does not close or anything.

In terms of a JR Pass, I think it may be worth considering a 21 day JR Pass if you can cover all travel from Shiga Kogen to Tokyo and Nikko with it.

Looks like a very nice trip!

Hello Daniel,

Thank you for your help. Yes, I meant Takayama not Tokoyama and I'll wait to see what the weather is like for the walk. It is something I would really like to do but being winter I know I may not be able to.

In terms of travel and timing would I be better off with the above or would it be better to go Kanazawa, Takayama, Nagoya and work backwards to Kyoto?

Many thank, Sabrina

Hello Sabrina,

There's not that much of a difference, however I think going with option 1 is the better way as Nagoya is directly on the way from Kyoto - Tokyo and makes for a convenient stop over.

Order your Japan Rail Pass Online

Starting from $279.00 for 7 days of unlimited Japan Rail travel

Please note: we are only able to handle order related enquiries via our online direct support. Commercial advertising is prohibited as per our website terms.