Order Your JRPass
Back to General Japan Travel

Japan Visit -29 April until 2 May 2014

Frank
Frank
about 10 years ago
4 responses

We arrive by ship in Osaka at the Tempozan Pier and will travel to Kyoto for one night. On the evening of 30 April we will travel to Tokyo (Tokyo Station) staying 2 nights. Then going to Narita on 2 May to fly home on United Airlines.

1. Should we purchase a rail pass? ( Will be using train from Osaka to Kyoto(29Apr) Kyoto to Tokyo(30 Apr.) On 2 May Tokyo to Narita.)

2. If yes to the rail pass. Do we purchases it before leaving the USA?

3. How long does it take to get to Narita from the Tokyo Station? How often do the trains run? Is United Airlines in Terminal 1 or 2?

4. How do we travel from (or the best and cheapest way) the cruise dock(Tempozan Pier) to Kyoto Station in Kyoto? We will a large suite case each -----any idea of the cost of a taxi from the dock to the train station for Kyoto?

Thank you for your help, Frank and Sarah -SF,CA

Daniel-san
18835 posts
about 10 years ago
Expert

Hi there,

1.) For a one way trip Osaka - Kyoto - Tokyo I would recommend buying normal tickets, the JR Pass is great if you make a return Osaka - Tokyo for instance but does not pay off for a one way trip.

2.) The JR Pass can only be purchased abroad.

3.) It takes about 90 minutes, trains depart every 30min and requires a seat reservation beforehand.

4.) I would not recommend a Taxi, the distance is over 50km and you could easily ramp up a fare of over 20,000yen. What I would recommend going is traveling to Osaka station and to take the JR Rapid service to Kyoto, which takes just 29 minutes and 540/yen.

Hope this helps!
Daniel

Looking for more information? Search the forum

Select Category

Instant Quote

Starting from $343.00 for 7 days of unlimited Japan Rail travel

Can’t find the answer?

Learn from over 17329 questions about the Japan Rail Pass, or ask our Japan Rail travel experts

Ask Question

Get pocket Wifi in Japan

Get pocket Wifi in Japan

Visit us on Facebook

Get inspired for your visit to Japan by following us on Instagram and don't forget your own shots once you are there.

Find out where to buy the japan rail pass online.

Order your JRPass Now!

We have special prices for children and great first class options. See all tickets or see our range of Regional Passes