14 day JR Pass itinerary
Planning trip to japan march 5-21,
planning for a few days kyoto, tokyo, osaka, rest of the trip o/night or 2 nights in each place,
would be using jp for all rail travel and local sightseeing in kyoto, tokyo and osaka, appreciate any advice re jp pass and if we should add or deduct any mentioned stops, thanks
This looks like a great itinerary to fit into a 14 day rail pass. Here are your legs:
- Kansai airport > Kyoto: ¥3490, (75mins, 99km)
- Kyoto > Tokyo: ¥13220, (161mins, 513km)
- Tokyo > Nagano: ¥7970, (108mins, 222km)
- Nagano > Kanazawa: ¥6920, (241mins, 252km)
- Kanazawa > Kyoto: ¥6710, (126mins, 224km)
- Kyoto > Hiroshima: ¥10790, (109mins, 380km)
- Hiroshima > Okayama: ¥5860, (41mins, 161km)
- Okayama > Matsue: ¥5870, (153mins, 188km)
- Matsue > Tottori: ¥4500, (94mins, 121km)
- Tottori > Osaka: ¥9910, (176mins, 325km)
- Osaka > Kansai airport: ¥2400, (54mins, 57km)
TOTAL: ¥77640 for 11 legs
If you use a 14 day rail pass from leg2 -> leg 11, there will be a saving of ¥26,650 over individual tickets, so I'd certainly recommend this route.
Regarding your stops, unless there is something particular to see in Okayama, you may prefer to spend more time in Tottori or elsewhere on your journey. Otherwise it looks like a great trip!
Hope this helps!